I have a confession to make: I absolutely love Nicki Minaj. And to keep my very slight obsession under control, I decided to replicate her first look seen in the Super Bass music video.
Needless to say, it’s the most fun I’ve had doing a tutorial yet.
|Eyes||Eye shadow primer, Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Recess, Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Palette, Coastal Scents 88 Color Eye Shadow Palette, Illamasqua Cream Pigment in Hollow, Ardell lashes in 138 Black, black gel or cream liner|
|Lips||Lip liner in your lip color, MAC Viva Glam Gaga|
|Face||Make Up For Ever 12 Flash Color Palette|
1. Apply an eye shadow primer all over the lids, up to the brow bone and on the lower lash-line.
2. Apply a skin-colored cream base (like Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Recess) to the lid and into the crease.
3. Using a flat, dense concealer brush, take the white from the MUFE 12 Flash Color Palette and apply it to the lid. You want to make an arched shape that extends slightly above your crease and with the peak of the arch closer to your nose (instead of in the middle). Make sure to apply the color all the way to the corner of your tear-duct. Use whatever white color remains on the brush and apply it to the lower lash-line.
4. Take a dense eye shadow brush and take a slightly lime-tinted, bright yellow (like the one found in the Coastal Scents 88 Palette) and apply it on top of the white color you’ve just applied. Blend out the edges slightly. Don’t apply the yellow color to the lower lash-line.
5. Apply a cream shadow that’s 1-2 shades darker than your skin tone (like Illamasqua’s Cream Pigment in Hollow) above the inner part of the yellow arch (closest to your nose) and outer part of the arch. Leave the peak of the arch blank.
8. With a fluffy crease brush, apply a slightly orange-toned, light brown (one that’s 1-2 shades darker than your skin tone) on top of where you’ve just applied the cream shadow. Blend in the color toward the bridge of your nose and upward, away from the outer corner of your eye. You can also blend the color slightly above the peak of the yellow. Re-apply the yellow to maintain the shape of the color if you need to.
7. Lightly apply a white/cream shadow under the brow bone.
8. With a small, pointed brush, apply a light pink color to the lower lash-line. Extend it to the inner tear-duct and connect the color to the yellow at both corners of the eye.
9. Apply full lashes (like Ardell’s 138 lashes). Cut them so that they don’t extend all the way into the inner corner of your eye.
10. With a flat liner brush, apply black gel or cream liner to the upper lash-line.
In the video, Nicki Minaj has bright pink lips. She may be wearing her own shade–MAC’s Pink Friday–but I opted for MAC’s Viva Glam Gaga instead.
First, line your lips with a color close to your lip color. She has a rounded cupid’s bow, so use the liner to create that shape if you don’t have it. Also use the liner to create a completely rounded bottom lip. Fill in your lips with a bright pink lipstick, leaving a thin line of the liner on the outer sides of your upper lip exposed.
I took a small, pointed, sponge brush and mixed the white and pink colors in the MUFE 12 Flash Color Palette to create a medium pink color and applied it in dots around the cheekbones.